Concours de Composition Acousmatique et Vidéomusique
petites formes 2020
France – Japon – Taiwan
> Deadline extended to 7th January 2020 <
1. This contest is held within the framework of cultural exchanges between Taiwan, Japan and France, and aims to promote acousmatic music and audiovisual work, also to encourage young composers of this music in Taiwan, Japan and France.
During the 2020-2021 season, the musical compositions of the Final prizewinners will be included in the programmes of several concerts in Paris, Taipei, Nagoya, etc.
2. The Concours de Composition Acousmatique et Vidéomusique petites formes 2020 is organised by Tout pour la Musique Contemporaine (France), Nagoya City University (Japan) and the National Chiao Tung University (Taiwan) in partnership with: Centre culturel de Taiwan à Paris, SACEM, Ina-GRM, Conservatoire de Reims, etc.
3. The Concours de Composition Acousmatique et Vidéomusique petites formes 2020 is open to composers and videographers of French, Taiwanese and Japanese nationality, born after 31 December 1979.
Composers from other countries than Taiwan Japan and France, can apply if :
– they have a legal residence permit (one year minimum) at the date of their registration,
– if they are following a superior cursus in music in one of the 3 countries.
4. The works must be of the genre: electroacoustic acousmatic music on support, or of a new category we opened this year: audiovisual work (Vidéomusique)
5. Each composer can submit two works (max), of a minimum duration of 5 minutes, and less than 10 minutes.
Same duration for audiovisual works. The panel will encourage pieces in line with the concept of “petites formes“.
6. The 2 works can be 2 pieces of acousmatic music (category A), 2 audiovisual works (category B), or a combination of music and audiovisual work.
7. The audiovisual work must be strictly original music and original video, a videographer and a composer can collaborate to produce the work.
8. In case of selection of 2 works from the same artist, they will have to choose only one for the final selection.
9. The technical presentation standard for the acousmatic pieces is exclusively the format: .wav or .aif – 44 KHz 16 bits – stereo
10. The technical presentation for the audiovisual work is on a single screen .mov or .mp4 in a definition that will not exceed 2 GB. A lighter version would be welcomed for selection.
11. Each candidate must send a single ZIP file by work to the Gmail address, labelled with the composer’s name (NAME, first name), and including the following 6 documents:
— entry form (in PDF)
— photocopy of proof of identity (in PDF)
— legal residence permit for composers coming from other countries
— up to date school certificate for students coming from other countries
— an identity photograph (in JPEG)
— a biography in English (max1000 signs, format .doc, .rtf, .text)
— a program note in English (max 1000 signs, format .doc, .rtf, .text)
— the sound file (.wav or .aif – 44 KHz 16 bits – stereo) or the video file (.mov or .mp4 – 2 GB max)
IMPORTANT: If you wish to take part in both categories or 2 works in same category, please send 2 individual files with composer’s name_1 or 2. Registration will be null and void if any of these documents is missing. Postal deliveries will not be considered by the organizers of the competition.
12. The pieces and the compulsory documents must be sent by the WeTransfer system to the following gmail address: firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 December 2019 at the latest.
13. The work submitted must have been composed in the three years preceding the deadline for submission of entries. Works having been played at concerts are permitted, but they must not have been published on CD, nor have been awarded a prize or any audience award at the deadline for entries.
14. Composers already having been finalists in the last petites formes competition (2018) are not permitted to enter.
15. Preselection: The organisers from each country will constitute a panel of a minimum of 4 judges comprising:
3 members from among the local specialists in electroacoustic music (one should have produced an audiovisual work), plus a former winner (to be chosen by the organiser) of the Preselection or Final selection of a previous session of the petites formes competition; in the absence of a former winner, a specialist from outside will replace him or her. They will select the 4 acousmatic pieces that will be in line for the Final selection.
The list of the 12 shortlisted pieces will be published by March 2020 at the latest.
The same panel, in each country, will select one audiovisual work which will be presented at the final concert without any selection.
16. Final selection: 12 works from the Preselection will become the programme of a public concert in spring 2020 during which 6 international judges will make the Final Selection of the 6 Prizewinners of the Concours de Composition Acousmatique et Vidéomusique petites formes 2020, one piece from each country must be included in the Final Selection.
17. An Audience Prize for the Concours de Composition Acousmatique et Videomusique petites formes 2020 will be awarded after the concert to one of the 12 shortlisted composers after the audience has voted and the voting slips have been counted by a representative from the audience and a representative from the panel of judges.
The competitors are not allowed to vote for the audience prize.
18. The panels of judges will be made up of at least 4 renowned composers for the Preselection shortlist and 6 others for the Final selection.
This panel will nominate a Chairperson from its members; this Chairperson will have the casting vote in the resolutions.
The Final Selection will be announced publicly at the end of the concert by Christian Eloy – the Chairman of the Concours de Composition Acousmatique et Vidéomusique petites formes 2020.
The decisions of the panels will not have to be justified and there will be no right of appeal.
The results will be communicated within one week to those concerned who did not attend the concert.
19. The prizewinners undertake to include the note Prizewinner of the Concours de Composition Acousmatique et Vidéomusique petites formes 2020 in programmes or publications that include their prizewinning work.